Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Dunkin' Donuts


Don't feed the squirrels; they're growing too large.

Visit #829, Saturday 9 November 13, 11:45AM-1:20PM, 3.5 miles.
Temps in the mid-40's, partly sunny.

I was wondering when the Meriden Parks Department would begin putting up the Christmas lights display in Hubbard Park. From the above photo, I see they've started.

From the mileage for Saturday's trip, you can see I didn't cover much ground. I didn't intend to, as I was on-call.

So, I stuck to the trails on the south side of I-691, west of Mirror Lake.

Most of you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but by far the most common piece of trash I spy while cleaning the trails is from Dunkin' Donuts products. I wonder; does it say something about Dunkin' Donuts customers, or the popularity of their products? My occasional co-volunteer has a saying about this, taking some liberty with the Dunkin' Donuts slogan: "America Litters On Dunkin' ".

Today, I decided to back up my assertion by photographing every piece of Dunkin' Donuts trash I picked up on the trails, and I really didn't cover much ground. Errr, enjoy...








The second most common item is containers of bottled water. Most are empty, but some are tossed while still containing water. That may be the subject of another post.

Anyway, after covering the small trail network in a short amount of time I might add, my first bag was near capacity (from all those Dunkin' Donuts containers ;-)  ) and I dropped it off.


I opened a second bag and covered a small loop from Percival Park Road to the Soap Box Derby track back to the parking lot, just to push my time out to two hours. Good thing I did, because I ran into 2 separate groups of people trying to find their way to the Castle but were clearly lost. I provided both of them with trail maps and sent them on their way.

Back at the park, I unloaded my second bag of trash.


Maybe it's the squirrels drinking all the Dunkin' Donuts coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment