Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

On The Slopes, Part II




Yes, it's Christmastime, even in Hubbard Park! Someone decorated this tree adjacent to Echo Point, complete with ornaments and bows. Take a walk along the road and check it out!

Visit #991, Saturday 12 December 15, 9:10AM-12:00PM, 4.5 miles.
Temps in the 50's, partly sunny.

Paul Bernier joined me for my annual cleaning of the slope behind the playscape. Below is an archive photo from last year to show the area.


I no sooner parked my car when I came upon the first of many Finds of the Week.


Found this in the parking lot. It had definitely suffered some road rash.

Paul and I scoured the hillside for trash. While I was near the top, adjacent to I-691, I came upon a most unusual Find of the Week:


If I didn't know better, I'd say that is a bona fide cherry tree growing almost inside Hubbard Park-you can see I-691 East in the background. If I think of it, I'll try and harvest some of those cherries next spring. If it turns out worthwhile, I might even prune the area around the tree for it's future growth.

Due to our annual efforts in maintaining this slope, it doesn't take as long as in past years. With time left over, we collected all the trash and left it in one spot along the fence line for the Meriden Parks Department to pick up, and used the remaining time to walk the road north toward Echo Point to clean up the roadsides.



I have got to stop looking down at the shoreline of Merimere Reservoir. I continue to find things that are unbelievable, and take some effort to retrieve.


This Merimere Reservoir Find of the Week was part of a steel guardrail.

Paul and I walked to Echo Point and turned around. We picked up the guardrail on the return trip and dropped it off, along with a couple trash bags, at the water treatment plant.


With the continuing mild weather this week, it's worth a walk up the road to enjoy the quiet, the scenery, and to see if you can spot the Christmas Tree!



No comments:

Post a Comment