Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Spared


A 3-6" snowfall on Saturday night was followed by sun and almost-spring temperatures on Sunday's hike. We were spared a lot of snow shoveling as much of it melted by noon. And because of the snow I was spared picking up a lot of litter

Visit #1123, Sunday 18 February 18, 2:00-4:30PM, 4.9 miles.
Temps in the 40's, sunny.

Last week I wrote that I might have to be the bad guy and remove all the Christmas ornaments from the tree at Echo Point, and surely piss some people off. Hey; it's ONLY SIX WEEKS after the holidays...

Fortunately I was spared the dirty work.

As I started my hike on Sunday, I was approached by a couple asking for hiking directions to Castle Craig. While I did hand them a trail map, I realized their interest coincided with this week's plan, so I offered Jeff and Lasmyne to join me.

We hiked the road around Merimere Reservoir and I was quite amazed by the number of footprints. It showed that despite the snow, quite a number of people enjoy the park and trails.


Had I been thinking more clearly, I would have photographed the kids sledding down the hill near the water tank, too.

Well, J., J., and I reached Echo Point and I saw the tree had been cleaned of ornaments sometime during last week.


We picked up the Blue Trail at the north end of Merimere Reservoir and hiked all the way to Castle Craig. Enroute, we enjoyed views like this, except with some snow (archive photo).


We toured Castle Craig then hiked the trails down and past the Halfway House back to the park.

I did manage to pick up some litter, and had help from my company as well. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment