Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Say Goodbye...


...to my boots, that is.

Visit #1166, Sunday 11 November 18, 11:50AM-2:50PM, 6.2 miles.
Temps in the mid-40's, sunny and breezy.

My hiking boots have served me well. Two years ago I bought a replacement pair, then got the goofy idea (and I'm cheap) I would wear the existing boots until something failed or I wore a hole in the sole. You can see I came pretty close to the latter! The soles were so thin I could feel every pebble; they were more slippers than hiking boots.

Where they failed was the hole through the leather on the outside of the right boot, in the photo. Water loved to find its way through there.

But the shoelaces are still good so I'll save them-I told you I was cheap!

The new pair, exactly the same brand/model as the deceased pair (Don't mess with what works!), has been sitting in the box for two years; next weekend will be their debut.



This was a welcome sign, for with the road closed for the season it can be enjoyed by foot traffic of all kinds. People took advantage of the closure and the cooperative weather as I saw people all along its length.

I walked the road north around Merimere Reservoir and at the beginning of the road's tilt upward I diverged onto a trail paralleling the west side of the road. I was looking for storm damage from the recent rains and wind. It didn't take long to find something.


This was easily swung out of the way.


The rest of the trail saw mostly small branches down, which I cleared. Nearing the top I found one fallen tree I couldn't move so it will have to be a future project.


I emerged from the trail near the radio towers, and followed the road downhill, essentially retracing my steps around Merimere Reservoir when I reached the bottom of the climb.

But before I hit level ground again I encountered our compulsive Christian graffiti vandal.
This is Exhibit #12 since September 2017.


I think I'll remove it next weekend because I'm itching to try my new technique. Stay tuned.

It was nice to return to the park and see many people taking advantage of the sun and reasonable temps to enjoy the park.


As I approached the gate, I came upon my Find of the Week, which I found as you see them.


I think those are paint scrapers, with the blades removed.

I dropped off my collected trash for the week; my boots will get a PROPER burial, however!





1 comment: