Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Spring Teaser


Spring pushes north along Merimere Reservoir, melting the ice cover as it travels.

Visit #1234, Saturday 22 February 20, 1:20-4:35PM, 6.5 miles, 9.4 lbs. of litter.
Temps in the low 40's, sunny and seasonably pleasant.

I had heard rumors of a renegade mountain bike trail being built in Hubbard Park and from the information I had, this week I would try to find it, and eventually close it.

The unusually sunny, warm weather brought out walkers, too many to count.


I wish the powers that be in Meriden would recognize the popularity of the road around Merimere Reservoir and to East/West Peak and consider closing it periodically during the season for recreational enjoyment. It rivals the Gorge Trail in popularity.

 As the warm wind blew from the south, waves lapped against the border between the ice and open water, making an unusual noise. It was pretty neat.


I found the trail after a long hike, and at its trailhead I found this unusual note. Sounds slightly creepy.


At some later date I'll try to cover this trail. If not done, eventually the park will be criss-crossed with eroded trails.

I have to admit however, it was very quiet on the trail and the woodsy views were new to me.


This trail lead me back such that I retraced my steps around Merimere Reservoir.

I came upon some new graffiti I have found before elsewhere in the park.


But the well-prepared hiker always carries sandpaper with them. 😀
I knew I was doing the right thing when I was thanked by a passerby. Only 60 seconds of elbow grease required.



Nearing the park, I noticed the cap which was welded onto the top of this gate post, was pried loose.

In 2013 I filled the post with Great Stuff foam, to keep people from throwing their coffee cups, etc.  inside the post.

In October 2014, the Meriden Parks Department took my work and went a step further, welding the cap on top.

So the spot welding wasn't the most permanent fix, but it lasted 6 years.


I left the loosened cap by the gate and will notify the Meriden Parks Department of the needed repairs.



Returning to the parking lot, I dropped off my litter for the week.


I was surprised to see the metal I carried down from near Castle Craig last week, was not picked up by the Meriden Parks Department.


And my last surprise was, the 4 books I put in the Little Free Library last week, adjacent to the playscape, were gone. Someone else must have the same exquisite literary taste I do. I expect that Chevy Silverado repair manual will be there for a while as it's not exactly a thriller novel!


Until next week, maintain.


No comments:

Post a Comment