Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Storm Isaias Cleanup, Week IV

Visit #1265, Sunday 30 August 20, 7:40-11:30AM, 4.4 miles, 11.0lbs. of litter.
Temps in the low 70's, sunny and dry.

This week I was flying solo; no assistant.

I was on-call too, and I risked venturing far from my van should I receive a service call. But there was still way too much Storm Isaias damage to clear...

I proceeded from the parking lot to the south end of Merimere Reservoir and took the main trail to the Halfway House. Enroute, I totally forgot about two fallen trees we found last week but had to skip because my chainsaw was empty of fuel by the time Paul and reached them.

Not this week.


Removing this was Easy-Peasey, and a warmup for what was next. You can see it in the background.


Now that my chainsaw and I were loose, we tackled bigger things.


That branch twisted as it was snapped from the tree, and continued to spin as I cut. I worked the twist to my advantage so it would twist away from me.


It's still attached to the tree, but clear of the trail.

Past the Halfway House, I took the Orange Trail up to Castle Craig. This was my objective this week, as a lot of people use this trail.

Near the bottom: I was half-finished cutting up this tree when I realized I forgot to take a Before picture.




I'm taking credit for the little stuff, too. Yes; I had to cut it with the chainsaw to free it from the roots.



Climbing higher. This fallen branch was longer than the picture depicts.





Just before reaching Castle Craig, I encountered the last storm damage I would be able to tackle today.



I cleaned up around the parking lot and around one picnic table at Castle Craig, and left a heavily laden trash bag for the parks department to pick up later.


Shortly after moving on from Castle Craig I received an after-hours service call and had to cut short my trail clearing.

I will return next week to continue plugging away at trail clearing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment