Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Tree Patrol

 Visit #1278, Saturday 14 November 20, 7:30-11:00AM, 5.6 miles, 6.6lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid-30's and rising to the 50's, sunny.


First things first. Two weeks ago I lost my hedge clippers while in Hubbard Park. I returned to the park in an attempt to find them, but was unlucky. Here's a mug shot from a lineup. My hedge clippers had looked like the suspect but fortunately, he wasn't fingered by the witness.


I lamented their loss, in addition to breaking my camera and almost losing my watch in Hubbard Park, all in the last two weeks.

Well, Meriden Mayor Kevin Scarpati and Chris Bourdon, Director of the Meriden Parks Department, were extremely generous and offered to pay for a pair of replacement hedge clippers. I had ordered the replacements prior to their offer, honest! They may change their minds when they see the bill...

My thanks to Kevin, Chris, and the City of Meriden.

I just need to paint them before they go into service.


 During last week's adventure in Hubbard Park, I counted three trees which had fallen across the trails. I would remove them this week.

Also, if you remember from last week, I placed a book in the Hubbard Park Little Library. It was a terribly written biography about a self-proclaimed, World's Greatest Counterfitter. Titled, "You Thought It Was More", which is some sort of mob saying which was explained in the book but made no sense to me. Then again, neither did the book itself. This week I checked the library and the book was gone. Pity whoever reads it.


Following Percival Park Road, I found one of the early signs of winter, lost winter clothing.

I'll wash this fleece headband and bring it to Goodwill.


I then revisited a telephone pole on the road toward Merimere Reservoir. Last week I spray painted over some graffiti but admitted I did a crappy job. Had to redeem myself. I can sleep better now.



Further up the road, I found "Junior's" high school report card.  I've redacted all sensitive information. At least Junior is doing better than Peppermint Patty; she's getting "Z's" on her report card!


I reached the trail where two of the fallen trees were and proceeded to conduct business.

Number One.



Number Two.



Reaching Castle Craig at 9:15AM, I was surprised to not encounter any hikers. I had the place to myself, and took the time to clean up the area. I didn't see a soul the entire time.


Taking the trail down, I removed a tree that has been hanging progressively lower into the trail.



Eventually the trails led me to the third and last tree, which was on the trail behind the water tank.



Last week I discovered a lot of graffiti on the back side of the water tank. I e-mailed the Director of Public Utilities, Richard Meskill, and told him of the issue and offered to take care of it if he didn't want to.

I did receive a reply where he said, "The Water Division will investigate and take care of any graffiti concerns on the structures it maintains."

Well, since I was behind the water tank and done with the fallen tree, I looked up not thinking they would possibly bother with it.

Wrong.


I was impressed with the speed with which they addressed this. A tip o' the pipe wrench to the Meriden Water Division. As for a gesture of my thanks, I picked up trash around the water tank, returned to the parking lot and dropped off my bag of the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment