Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Calculations

I found a quarter in Hubbard Park on Saturday. By my calculation, I earned 7.1 cents per hour.

Visit #1329, Saturday 18 September 21, 7:00-10:30AM, 5.8 miles, 19.3lbs. of litter.

Temps in the mid-60's to start, rising to near 80, partly sunny with mild humidity.

During a bike ride past Hubbard Park last week, I noticed a roadside memorial had popped up at the West Main Street entrance to Hubbard Park.


I found a similar memorial nearby in December 2018. It could be from the same people who erected the first memorial because I found Bud Light bottles in both instances. Nevertheless, on Saturday morning I removed it.

I have decided on a quasi-regular schedule of trimming the roadsides to East and West Peaks, using my newly acquired polesaw. If I don't make it a regular, periodic activity, it will take too long. Today that would be my plan. I will limit myself to one hour of "polesaw time" otherwise it will leave less time for trail maintenance and litter collection.


The picture doesn't show much other than the fact that I have the polesaw with me. The red line you see is my marker to show where I leave off so I know where to pick up on my next session. In the photo you're looking downhill, and the fork in the road to East-West Peak is behind me. I made approximately 900 feet of progress.

Of course, I was picking up litter as I was trimming branches, but I could only keep an eye on one side of the trail until my hour was up. 

I followed the road down and across the north end of Merimere Reservoir.


At Echo Point, I found some new graffiti, which appears to have been done with fingerpaint. I actually returned to Hubbard Park on my bike on Sunday to remove it, but my iPod gave me grief so I couldn't photograph my work. Stay tuned for more info next week on how I dealt with this and whether I was successful!


Would you like some coffee with your sugar?! And remember; it's no longer Dunkin' Donuts, just Dunkin'. Also, did you know that sugar packets vary in size based on brand, region, and country? Apparently in some markets people prefer more/less sugar. It can vary from 4 to 10 grams of sugar per packet.


At the south end of Merimere Reservoir I was stopped by a man who marveled at the amount of litter I collected. During our conversation, he told me he was at Disney World reading some Disney literature where their researchers had calculated they needed to place trash bins EVERY TWENTY FEET for a sufficient number of people to consider using them.

I returned to the parking lot and calculated I was done for the day.





No comments:

Post a Comment