Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Even A Blind Squirrel Eventually Finds A Nut

 The proverb in this week's title is brought to you from a yogi in the mountains of Middlefield Connecticut, pal Bob S. .

Visit #1340, Saturday 4 December 21, 12:40-3:30PM, 3.5 miles, 8.0lbs. of litter.

Once a year, when the snakes are gone and if the weather cooperates, I will try to clean the slope below Castle Craig (the Orange Trail) where unfortunately people toss their cans and bottles galore. It's very steep, loose, and clumsy work. That is what I did on Saturday.

On the lower slope of the trail, just as I was going to begin crawling around among the rocks, I found this newly fallen tree across the trail, which I'll remove next week as part of a Power Tool Weekend ®!

The photo above is when I was done picking up litter and heading back to the park.

It was while I was crawling around on the slope, far away from any trail, that I found my nut.


Well, it really wasn't my nut because I was able to track down the wallet's owner, a New York City resident no less. I'll let Edwin tell the story:

Good Morning Peter, I can't believe you found it! You won't believe the story but it is true.. and I can prove it! So last June, around the 20th I think, I went with a buddy to try out my semi new drone.. we found that Castle Craig in Meriden allows droning so we went up to the castle.. well to cut a long story short, it crashed against the tower at the top of the rock... Using the 'find my drone' feature on the app, i saw that the drone fell just below the tower but... i didn't realize what getting there would take. So, i pulled out google maps and saw the hiking trails in the area and saw that there was a trail parallel to the where the drone had fallen.. and so i started the hike. I wasn't ready, as i had just regular sneakers.. when i got somewhat close to the drone i could hear the beeping and realized it was super steep but i climbed up and found the broken drone. it was still filming too lol. well on the way down i had to sit on my butt and slide down the side of the mountain to the trail... i think it was somewhere around there that i might have dropped it. when i was sliding down i saw tons of rubbish and glass.. just made me sick to my stomach since i adore nature and hiking that i thought why would people throw so much trash there? Anyway... climbed up back to the car. drenched in sweat, it was humid that day and i was very dirty.. at the car, i realized the wallet was missing. not sure if i left it on the mountain or in the parking lot.. i looked and could not find it.. Here's the footage i recovered from the drone that day:  

I'll be sending the wallet and its contents home to Edwin as soon as I get his mailing address.

I tracked him down by comparing his driver's license photo with a photo he had posted on LinkedIn. I had to create an account just so I could contact him! I hope to cancel it before I get charged...


2 comments: