Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2026

Back In The Saddle

 

Visit #1609, Sunday 19 July 26, 6:05-9:15 a.m, 4.9 miles, 17.0 lbs. of litter. 

Temps in the low 70s, sunny, dry, and breezy, after late Saturday and overnight rain.

Thanks to those astute readers of my blog who noticed something might be wrong with my health and tracked me down while I had a brief stay at MidState Medical Center and spa.

Those who called seemed to be more worried that I pay off my loans to them before I died, but their phone calls were still appreciated. 😏

If you must know, I had an outbreak of Good Looks and Charm. I know when it happens because all sorts of strangers and paparazzi will start following me, and love letters from all types will appear in my mailbox. The only solution is to hide away in the hospital where only those concerned with getting their money back will make the effort to track me down.

I'm on the mend now, and medication is returning me to my normal boring and ugly self except for the time being I am moving a bit slower. This week I wanted to test my recovery on the same route I abandoned last week.

Our Birch Tree Bandit continues to adorn said tree with stickers and tchotchkes. I even remove the nails and they keep reappearing.

Further up the trail, this storm damage happened this week because the trail was clear last week. It was easily removed.


The Birch Tree Bandit is responsible for this sticker as well. I put it in my pocket for later review but somehow lost it.


I wanted to save it because it's difficult to read what else he has written on it. It calls me "Sticker Peeler" multiple times and tells me to "grease this pole too", assuming I've treated other promising sticker spots with something to deter sticker pasting.

Why would I do that and where would I come up with such an idea?! 😉

Now on the walkbridge I spotted and removed some new graffiti.


It was easily removed.


But pay attention; compare the above with what I found on the opposite end of the I-691 walkbridge and you'll notice they are from the same person. That is, if you're Dr. Louise Banks (Amy Adams) and in the habit of deciphering alien language.


I'll work on the latter next week.

At the Beehive Fountain I found a purse, but it was empty.


The next trail I went up featured a stand of wild raspberries. Unfortunately, they were overtaking the trail so I had to trim them back, just as they were ripening. Sorry.


Stickers seemed to be the theme of the day because as I reached the road to East/West Peak I found several more on this post. They all referred to voting, mail-in voting, and mail carriers.


I must not have greased this pole as they were difficult to remove UNTIL I applied my magic potion and some elbow ahem, grease.


Walking down the road I found this hoodie.


Such an uplifting message! Yeah; that's what I wanna wear to meet my girlfriend's parents...

Further down the road I found a slew of beer cans and bottles, all Corona or Modelo.


But as you can see I found three that were unopened. I'm not a beer drinker but if I were, and when I smelled the contents as emptied the bottles, I would definitely rethink my taste for beer. Now I know where the term "warm piss" comes from because that's what it smelled like. And what kind of person throws out perfectly good bottles of beer except someone too drunk to know what they're doing!

In a past blog entry I pondered whether some blue ribbons I found on trees were possible indications of a soon to be logging project. It appears I'm right.



Questions remain - is this a parks department project or a water department project? Is this on Hubbard Park land or watershed land? I ask because in 2000 or 2001 I participated with a group of people in getting a logging project in Hubbard Park stopped because it impacted those who hike and recreate in Hubbard Park. I'm trying to get answers.

Another reason I wanted to hike down the road this week was to see if my unfinished tree removal on the road was completed by other parties. I'm pleased to say it was.


I hope to get uglier and more boring as my meds take effect, and able to hike longer, at a quicker pace.
Until then, maintain.







No comments:

Post a Comment