Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hubbard Park Special Projects Unit


The Hubbard Park Special Projects Unit monitors all the airwaves in Hubbard Park from its West Peak not so covert station!

Visit #1033, Saturday 3 September 16, 10:40AM-12:00PM, mileage n/a.
Temps in the 70's, sunny and dry.

Visit #1034, Sunday 4 September 16, 9:00-10:40AM, 3.5 miles.
Temps in the 70's, sunny and dry.

Although not exclusively dedicated to holidays, I try to activate the Special Projects Unit on holidays for, you guessed it-special projects! During this Labor Day weekend, I wanted to paint over graffiti I found recently on West Peak.

Since I was on-call this weekend, I drove up to West Peak instead of the usual hike. I kitted up in coveralls and walked out to the rocks.

This relatively new tag is what triggered the idea to give the rocks a makeover.


Seems there's a dispute as to who owns the world. From the text, I'd guess it's a Republican vs. a Democrat! Regardless, there is no disputing this has got to go.


The work went faster than expected and didn't use as much paint as I anticipated. I wasn't shooting for complete coverage, but good enough.







Done with that, I returned to the van and dropped off the painting equipment, then grabbed a trash bag and cleaned up the surrounding area and the West Peak parking lot.


On Sunday morning I returned to Hubbard Park for more of the usual policing of the trails. I stuck to the trails on the south side of I-691.

One Find of the Week was this key which I found exactly as you see it.  I imagine whoever placed it there hoped the owner would return to find it.


As I left the park on Saturday, I spied this trash at the parking area across from Belmont Avenue. So on Sunday morning I hiked to the area and cleaned up what were the remnants of a styrofoam cooler.


In the process, I collected exhibit #17 in the 2016 Season of the Missing Glove. This is the cycling glove edition.


From the northwest corner parking area near Mirror Lake comes Find of the Week #2. This is almost as bad as the diapers I find.


Find of the Week #3 was 3 contractor bags of trash and a box dumped in the brush surrounding the same parking area.


They were quite heavy. I lugged them over to a location where it appears the City of Meriden is installing curbing. I trust the work crews will cart away the trash bags.


I returned to the parking lot with a trash bag of my own, properly disposed of.


My weekly labor done, I plan to enjoy the rest of the Labor Day holiday, and I and the Special Projects Unit hope you do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment