Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Unfinished Business, Finally Finished!


Warm, sunny, quiet in the woods; you couldn't ask for a better fall day on Saturday.

Visit #1109, Thursday Thanksgiving Day, 23 November 17, 11:30AM-12:30PM, mileage n/a.
Temps in the 40's, sunny.

Visit #1110, Saturday 25 November 17, 10:30AM-2:00PM, 6.8 miles.
Temps in the 50's, sunny and breezy.

I thought I was nuts for straying into Hubbard Park on Thanksgiving Day; you would think I'd be spending time with family and friends. But apparently I wasn't the only one with the idea to take a walk in the woods on this holiday, as you'll read below.

As a single guy with no holiday invites coming my way, I wasn't going to cook a turkey just for myself. But lest I be called unAmerican, I cobbled together turkey chili in the slow cooker. Now I had all day to wait until it was ready.

But I really wasn't single on Thanksgiving; I was dog-sitting. I brought the dog with me.

Last week I reported spying some graffiti on the walkbridge over I-691. While the low temps would slow the paint curing, it was as good a time as any to do the deed.


 Once situated and my gear laid out, I went to work. I was amazed at the number of people who passed by just above where I was working, without a clue I was there. It was great to see so many out choosing to hit the trails on Thanksgiving.



When I was through, I walked around to the other side of the walkbridge abutment to look for any more graffiti and to pick up trash.

I found this old Connecticut license plate with the end characters missing.


 But the big surprise was this:


Now you too, know the secret to how the state keeps track of bridge painting. The "Ameron 450H" is the paint type.

Henry guards the walkbridge, demanding a biscuit before you pass. Don't have a biscuit-a pat on the head or belly rub will suffice.


Henry and I took short, casual lap after our work was done, then returned to the car with our tools and trash.


I returned on Saturday to finish clearing storm damage to the trails in Hubbard Park. Enroute to the trail head, I picked up litter. Here was my Find of the Week. Wonder why they got rid of it.


All my work was on one trail, paralleling the road up to West Peak. I used an entire tank of gas and had just enough to finish the job.







Some of the fallen trees were quite large.








I had to start making selective cuts because my fuel supply was getting low. I was keeping an eye on it all day expecting I might not have enough to complete the day's work.



Here's one of two or three abandoned cars near the trail. What I wouldn't give to get them removed, but it would take some serious resources.




And finally, the last tree. The end of the trail is just out of view.



Back at the car, I packed up the saw and my trash for the week.


'Til next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment