Pages

Saturday, December 2, 2017

A Short Holiday Stroll


The Christmas decorations are in place and awaiting your enjoyment.

Visit #1111, Saturday 2 December 17, 11:25AM-12:25PM, 2.6 miles.
Temps in the 40's, sunny.

My trail work today was impeded at the start by a train blocking the trailhead. This train is apparently unaware there is a new train station downtown and a second set of tracks available.


I scoured all the trails on the south side of I-691 for litter. The parking area in the northwest corner is always a source of entertainment; I never know what I'll find but there's usually a good story behind it, if I use a little imagination!

Squirrels gather nuts and store them to prepare for winter. People, as this receipt shows, prepare for winter differently but prepare nonetheless. What's winter without a Santa Hat?!


This collection of Captain Morgan Rum nip bottles makes me wonder if the drinker is aware you get more rum if you buy a pint (375ml/$10) rather than 5 nip bottles (250ml total/$10). Save the excess for another day or get even more knockdown drunk for the same price. It's a win-win for the consumer!


I returned to the park and walked a loop around the Soap Box Derby track and the retention ponds.
Back at the parking lot, which was full of people enjoying the playscape, I deposited my litter for the week.


On the way out of the park I stopped to check on the progress of repairs to the John Barry bandshell, after a tree fell on it. While not yet finished, I'm impressed with the repair/repaint of the louvers on the left, where the tree contacted the roof. The Meriden Parks Department certainly has a skilled workforce and took care to preserve the original look.


No comments:

Post a Comment