Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Contest Time Again!


Gray, brooding skies were holding water, ready to give it back to Merimere Reservoir on Sunday.

Visit #1136, Sunday 13 May 18, 8:55-11:50AM, 4.4 miles.
Temps in the high 50's, cloudy skies with scattered showers.

Weather-wise this weekend it was going to be a gamble. Saturday's forecast of rain came true which meant I stayed home and dry, praying Sunday would be better weather, despite a forecast offering little hope.

Sunday's skies restrained themselves and I averted assured misery.

I got a relatively early start so I would be able to walk the road in peace and quiet and unencumbered by cars. I walked the road all the way from the gate, to the north end of Merimere Reservoir. Enroute I stopped at the brick outbuilding below the water treatment plant, to inspect some new graffiti.


I had previously painted over other graffiti on this building as you see on the left of the photo, and on two other sides. Unless the Meriden Water Department gets to it first, I'll take care of it next week. Who's betting against me painting it before the water department?!

With the road to the peaks now open for traffic, There's much more litter, enough to leave a bag at the water treatment plant so soon after beginning my day.


I continued to follow the road around Merimere Reservoir, collecting enough litter to leave a second bag on the roadside just as the road pitches up. I'll ask the Meriden Parks Department to pick it up.


It's at this point I left the road to meet my trail objective of the week. There was a small tree across this trail that I would remove with my bow saw.

As I started the trail I came upon some low hanging vegetation which I removed.



It was while trimming the low branches that I came upon my Find of the Week and this week's contest.

I spied it just as you see here, hanging from a tree branch.


It was definitely old, and had the heft of something vintage (solidly built). I wonder how long it was hanging there?

This week's contest is: Correctly identify the object and win a gift certificate to a local eatery. Out of state participants-guess anyway and I'll figure out a prize. Winner will be selected from all correct answers. E-mail your answer to me no later than midnight Friday, 18 May 18.
No correct answers-I treat myself!

Here's another photo, and a clue: It has no use in the woods, which makes me wonder how it made its way so far from where it would be useful.


I hiked up the trail to a tree which was across, and swung it out of the way.


Eventually I reached the fallen tree. Two cuts and the trail was cleared.



The trail ended near West Peak, so I cleaned up litter in the parking lot, then followed the trails down to the I-691 walkbridge and back to the park, depositing my last bag of litter.


I'd like to point out a pleasant surprise: As I arrived at Hubbard Park this morning, I noticed the City of Meriden marked the parking lot for spaces. It looks nice and organized. Good job.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment