Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Promises


Last week's storms, tornadoes, and microbursts exercised the brunt of their force south of Meriden, but the city didn't entirely escape. The trails in Hubbard Park have new low hanging branches as a result. In time, I'll take care of them, as I inspect the trails in the coming weeks for damage.

Visit #1136, Sunday 20 May 18, 1:00-2:30PM, 1.9 miles.
Temps in the 70's, cloudy with tropical humidity.

First, the important news: The winner of last week's contest!

The item I asked you identify was an indoor TV antenna!

I still use a similar antenna today for FM radio.


The spiral wire on the contest antenna is used to receive UHF channels. The VHF radials you see in the photo above were missing on the contest antenna.

There was only one correct answer, and the winner was Joe Murray of Wallingford, CT. His prize-a $25 gift certificate to Trackside Brick Oven Pizzeria of Wallingford! Thanks to all who participated.

Joe tried to decline the prize but I'm someone who tries to keep his promises and Joe graciously accepted.

And after discovering new graffiti last week and promising to return this week to clean it up, I wasn't sure I'd be able to keep that promise. The harsh weather of last week persisted into Saturday evening, and Sunday morning was foggy and way too humid to paint. I impatiently waited until skies appeared to clear and some drier air moved in before I ventured to Hubbard Park.

I started at the gate and walked straight to the building in question, picking up litter along the way.


What I didn't count on was moisture lingering on the brick. It caused the paint to run slightly. I wasn't bright enough to try and wipe up the drips even though I had a rag with me. It's hard to find good help these days...


I followed the shapes of the brick to add a little organization to the patches, unlike the brown on the door which I'd painted previously and looks vaguely like a handgun.

As an aside, the Connecticut Forest and Park Association, which maintains many of the trail networks in Connecticut, recently sent me an e-mail suggesting a donation. They have actually calculated how much it costs to maintain a trail. Here's the breakdown:

$25 supports 1/10 mile of trail
$50 supports 2/10 mile of trail
$125 supports 1/2 mile of trail
$250 supports 1 mile of trail

I presume that's on an annual basis.

Considering Hubbard Park contains roughly seven miles of trails, that means it costs $1750/year to maintain the trails. I definitely don't spend that much in trash bags, paint, and whatever else wears out in a year. Either my expenditures are extremely low, or I don't charge the City of Meriden enough... ;-) (This is tongue in cheek; the numbers above are accurate but I'm not pandering for money. I promise!)

I packed up the paint and returned to the park via the Soap Box Derby track, and turned westward toward the I-691 walkbridge. Seems someone stole the American Flag over the eastbound lanes. It had just been replaced in late April 2018. I removed the grommets and tyraps that held it to the fence.


After cleaning up the trails, I returned toward the park and cleaned up the parking area in the northwest corner of the park. While doing so, I came upon my Find of the Week.


Now, I see a Cinderella story here: If I find the woman who fits this hoodie, she'll turn into a princess, marry me, and we'll live happily ever after.

I put the hoodie into my trash bag instead. Any princess that wears a hoodie uh, no thanks!

I returned to the parking lot and dropped off my bag of trash.


I just discovered this week that my backpack, while also designed to conveniently hold a chainsaw or a gallon of paint, has holders specifically for handled tools like a shovel, rake, or the paint brush extender you see. Neat!

Another reason I planned for my afternoon start today was to take advantage of the Food Truck Festival being held this weekend in Hubbard Park. Waiting until I was done with my work, I was sure to have an appetite for some fried, decadent food truck offerings.

I walked toward the John Barry Bandshell and...


Do you see any food trucks?! Neither did I. Somebody broke THEIR promise.  ;-(

No comments:

Post a Comment