Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Peace and Quiet


Whether it was walking on the road, on the trail, or just pausing by Merimere Reservoir, it was so soothing to be out in Hubbard Park on Sunday. The overcast skies enhanced the calm.

Visit 1140, Sunday 10 June 18, 7:40-9:55AM, 3.6 miles.

Returning to our regularly scheduled labors after being interrupted by last week's graffiti, I engaged in a clockwise loop to reach the fallen tree I found across the trail two weeks ago.

Once across the I-691 walkbridge, I reached the large rock with graffiti which I covered with the brown paint I had on hand last week. While I knew the brown clashed with the gray I'd previously used to paint over other graffiti, it was only when I was disciplined by a reader of this blog for my poor taste in colors that I knew I had to correct things.

Here's my sin.


I hopefully redeemed myself by covering the brown with spray paint. It will dry to a satin finish.


The relatively cool temps combined with a slight breeze kept the mosquitos and no-see-ums at bay, making the hike very pleasant.

I shortly reached the fallen tree across the trail.


This was quick work. I tossed the pieces down the slope.


While cutting up this tree I came upon my Find of the Week. Full, and still sealed.



I moved on to another trail, and hiked down to Merimere Reservoir and the road back to the park. Quiet as it looks.



Back at the parking lot, I dropped off my trash bag.


When I arrived at Hubbard Park, the lot was practically empty, but upon returning to my vehicle, the lot was full with people participating in a walk to raise funds for Myasthenia Gravis. It looks like the event had a good turnout.


And now for a rare product endorsement!

I'm not much of a water drinker; too bland. Of course on the trails in Hubbard Park I carry water out of necessity. At home, I've found if I put a splash of lemon juice in a 32oz. container of cold water, I might empty the pitcher in one sitting, it tastes so good!

Well, while at the Big Y supermarket last week I stumbled upon this product in the powdered drink mix aisle:

Each individual packet has a mere 0.8 grams of product in it; probably what a no-see-um weighs.
Yet whether you put it in a 20oz. or 32oz. container, it turns water into a pure pleasure with just a subtle hint of fruit. 

If you don't care for plain water or just want to add some palatability to your trail water, THIS is the ticket. Incidentally, the bottle shown was found by me in Hubbard Park in January of this year and became a handy test-vessel today for True Orange.





No comments:

Post a Comment