Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Trimmin'

Visit #1141, Saturday 16 June 18, 9:10-10:45AM, 2.7 miles.
Temps in the low 70's, sunny and dry.

I was on-call so I didn't venture far and wide.

Except to take a specific photo, I stuck to the trails on the south side of I-691.

What goes mostly unseen in my blog posts is the frequent trimming and brush cutting I perform to keep the foliage from crowding the trails. A snip here, a chop there; it all adds up. Storms with high winds or snow will cause tree branches to bend down and get in the way. That's nature. And that's what I focused on this weekend. It's hard to document in photos, but I maintain an eye toward creating a canopy over the trails, and it takes years before it becomes evident.

So I trimmed all the trails on the south side of the highway and only crossed the walkbridge to take that photo.

Last week I reported spray painting over brown paint on a large rock, matching the existing gray color from previous work of mine. When I do this, I sometimes mention the paint went on glossy but will blend in better when it dries. Here's a perfect example:

Last week, just after I applied the spray paint:


This week, after drying:


So don't worry that my paint jobs will look garish and out of place. I think they blend in nicely.

After cleaning the trails, I walked around the Soap Box Derby track and the retention ponds to pick up more trash, while there was a charity run/walk to end Pancreatic Cancer.

I wanted to tie this event in to my blog by saying one of my favorite musicians, Frank Zappa, died of
pancreatic cancer but that idea fell flat because Frank died of prostate cancer, not pancreatic cancer.

But since I don't have much in the way of photos this week, I'm going to throw in a Frank Zappa video for your entertainment anyway.


Until next week, maintain.


No comments:

Post a Comment