Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2018

Smart


Geese try to stay cool, paddling in Merimere Reservoir in the midst of this heatwave we are experiencing. Smart move.

Visit #11143, Monday 25 June 18, 6:15-8:10PM, mileage n/a. Temps in the 70's, sunny and dry.

Visit #1144, Sunday 1 July 18, 7:40-9:20 AM, 2.7 miles. Temps in the 80's, climbing to possible record highs in the high 90's, sunny and humid.

As reported last week, I managed to get my chainsaw guidebar stuck in a tree I was trying to remove from the trail. I needed to find a solution to get my guidebar back, and soon, before someone damages it.

My solution was to buy ANOTHER guidebar. Smart move, as I'll sooner or later need to replace the existing bar, and I'll be able to use it to bail myself out next time this happens. I didn't feel like it was a waste of money.


I already had a spare chain, so I hightailed it to the north end of Merimere Reservoir on Monday, assembled my rescue kit, and in mere minutes had my beloved guidebar back in my hands.


Then I finished off the tree which had fallen across the Blue Trail.


On the return trip to the parking lot, I stopped at the water department building and used Goof-Off to try and remove the graffiti I discovered last week.

Rinsed with water, it looks a little better but I'm not satisfied. I forgot to address it this week so it will have to go on my To Do List.


I also used the return trip to collect litter, and dropped off a bag when I was done.


Well, Sunday's weather was entirely different from the perfectly dry, moderate temps of Monday.
It was supposed to be a real scorcher. I may not be the sharpest cheddar in Vermont but I knew enough to get an early start Sunday to attempt to avoid the heat.

I often mention my trail trimming, which few people see. A snip here, a cut there; it all adds up in the long run to maintain the trails and I'm doing it almost weekly. Here's but one obvious example from this week.



As the trail I was on reached Merimere Reservoir, I found this painted rock.


 Nearby, I found another one.


I have found painted rocks before, as recent as October of last year. I'll keep my eyes open to see if this trend continues.

Hiking up the Green Trail, I found this low hanging branch from a tree which had fallen across the trail some years ago. I had cleared the tree from the trail then, but as the tree settled, the branch moved lower. I'll probably remove it next week.


Up at the Halfway House, I discovered the Meriden Parks Department has trimmed the brush back nicely. At first I thought that was solely in response to my prior requests, but then it dawned on me that Chris Bourdon of the Meriden Parks department patiently decided to wait until the 4th of July neared to fulfill my request. I'll bet the fireworks will be launched from the Halfway House, and the brush had to be cleared to accommodate the shells. This was a "two birds with one stone" kinda thing. Smart move.



I followed the Main Trail toward the I-691 walkbridge and found a fallen tree encroaching on the trail. I'll hopefully take care of this next week as well.


Down at the walkbridge itself, I previously noticed the vines growing over the fencing. I brought a spray bottle of weed killer and treated both ends of the walkbridge. It takes a few weeks to take effect, but it works pretty well.


At the other end of the bridge I found a new sticker, which I removed. No idea what it refers to.


Heading back to the playscape, I stopped at the parking area at the northwest corner of Mirror Lake and picked up litter, adding it to my bag.



I end this week with a picture of my sister's Doberman, Henry, who I am dogsitting this week and next. He's the reason why I didn't spend a lot of time in the park this week; not only is he camera-shy; he's emotionally needy!




No comments:

Post a Comment