Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Labor Day Weekend and the Big "Y"


Visit #1155, Saturday 1 September 18, 6:40-7:15AM, mileage n/a.

Visit #1156, Sunday 2 September 18, 8:40-11:25AM, 5.0 miles.

I'm back to documenting the mileage of my weekly hikes. I bought a new pedometer to replace the 4th one I sent to its death in the washing machine. This one has a lanyard I can wear around my neck so hopefully I'll be less likely to toss it in the laundry unless I jump into the basket with it. But I've been known to do stranger things...


During a bicycle ride through the park earlier in the week, I noticed some new graffiti on the concrete bridge supports under I-691. Early on Saturday morning, I drove to the park with a gallon of paint to cover it up without drawing attention to me.


Somebody doesn't know the initials of their beau. I wonder if they slept on the couch that night.

It took me more time to prep than to actually paint over it.


The gloss should disappear when the paint dries.


When I was done, I walked around the retention ponds and picked up litter. I didn't have much time Saturday morning, hence the short visit. While walking the loop, I met a guy who repeatedly asked me WHY I pick up trash, as if sooner or later I would relate it to some trauma I experienced in the womb.

On that same bicycle ride earlier in the week, I saw a lot of litter on the road to East/West Peak. Since I was on-call, it would be easier if I parked at either peak and set out from there. If I had a service call, in theory I'd be closer to my vehicle.

So I parked at West Peak and cleaned up the parking lot and surrounding area, then walked the road on one leg of the "Y" toward Castle Craig. Enroute I dropped off my first bag of trash at the "Y" intersection.


I reached Castle Craig and spruced up the parking lot and the road.

Except for the electrical transformer on the right, that looks picture postcard perfect.

I turned around, and walked the second leg of the "Y" to the intersection, where I dropped off a second trash bag.


Next, I pointed myself downhill, and walked base of the "Y" down to Merimere Reservoir and cleaned up one side of the road. At the reservoir, I turned around and cleaned up the other side of the road. Reaching the intersection of the "Y" a third time, I dropped of a third bag of trash.


As you can see, I had my loppers out because I was trimming branches all along the road sides as I walked.

The last leg of the "Y" on Sunday's journey led back to my van at West Peak. I hopped in and drove to my waiting bags of trash which I took home to put out with my trash next week.


Leaving the park, I stopped to check on Saturday's paint job.


Now, as it should be on Labor Day, I will rest from my labors. I hope you do, too.


2 comments:

  1. Yay Peter! Thank you for Keeping Hubbard Park Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and enjoy your next visit to Hubbard Park!

      Delete