Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Promises Kept, Promises Broken



Dot and Ditto Flagston have my respect. Who names their kid "Ditto" anyway?!


Visit #1154, Saturday 25 August 18, 1:20-4:40PM.
Temps in the high 70's, sunny with moderate humidity.

As promised last week, my plan this week was to remove a tree fallen across the trail behind the water tank.


Here ya' go.


I had barely spent 15 minutes on the trail and already filled a bag with litter. So I dropped it off at the water treatment plant and started another bag.


I hiked up to Castle Craig and turned right, onto the Blue Trail high above Merimere Reservoir.

Hiking along the ridgeline, I spotted a letterbox. I don't intentionally go looking for them; they just pop up occasionally.


This particular letterbox was placed there by the CFPA.


If you've never gone letterboxing; there's a guest book inside which you stamp with your own personal stamp, or use the stamp in the box. Add a little note regarding your visit, and place it back.


Today I also noticed the CFPA appears to be replacing the painted Blue Trail markers with plastic markers nailed to the tree. I'm not sure why they didn't drive the nails all the way in.


At the north end of the trail, I picked up the road around Merimere Reservoir and followed it back to the park.

Enroute I found someone bought a brand new fishing kit just to go fishing in Merimere Reservoir.


Yankees fans will derive some satisfaction knowing this Mets hat was destined for my litter bag.


I returned to the park and dropped off my second bag of litter for the day.


And, from the "Promises Not Kept" department: Remember back in July, I swore off pedometers?
Yeah, well; I caved. Bonus: this pedometer comes with a lanyard, so I can wear it around my neck. The only way it will find its way into the washing machine now is if I jump in with it. Look for mileage tracking returning next week, oh boy!


A parting shot of Miner's Island.


4 comments:

  1. I appreciate these blogs! And thank you for all you do.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome, and I hope you'll come back to visit!

      Delete
  2. Yes, thanks for all your work, the park would be hell without the time you put in. BTW, the nails for the markers are not drivin all the way to allow for tree growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the explanation about the nails! I'm just hoping the new trail markers don't become attractive theft targets.

      Delete