Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2018

The Season of the Missing Glove Begins


Winter reminds Merimere Reservoir who's boss.

Visit #1170, Saturday 8 December 18, 10:00AM-1:00PM, 4.9 miles.
Temps barely cracking 30, sunny.

I had the deluxe pleasure of being joined by pal Jeff as official photographer and assistant garbageman on this week's excursion. It was cold to start, but quite pleasant once you were moving.

While cleaning the slope below Castle Craig just after Thanksgiving, I noticed a newly fallen branch lying trailside. It was an eyesore to me and too close to the trail, so this week I brought my chainsaw to remove it.

Jeff and I left the parking lot and walked the Soap Box Derby track, then the road, to the south end of Merimere Reservoir where we picked up the trails.

I shortly came upon 2018/19 Season of the Missing Glove Participants #1 and 2.


I had enough brains to save these rather than toss them in my trash bag. I'll drop them off at Goodwill after washing. That pretty much used up all  my common sense for the day!

Reaching the fallen branch, I went to work.


I may have been able to just pull the large branch downslope, saving time and avoiding the use of the chainsaw, but I already used up all my common sense with the mittens and besides, why would I want to spoil the fun of using power tools?

An "artiste" inspects his work.


When Jeff and I reached the top of the trail, we turned right onto the Blue Trail along the ridgeline and the western edge of Merimere Reservoir. I wanted to follow this route because it's rare I take this lightly used trail, but in the off-chance there was something that needed the services of a chainsaw, I would be prepared and not have to make a return trip.

Jeff admires the view east, while I'm already thinking about lunch...


As we hiked along the ridgeline we came upon these climber's web straps secured to these trees. I can only imagine the rock would be cold to hold onto today. We saw no movement on the straps so we hollered to get the climber(s) attention, but received no response.


Near the end of the trail, my decision to hike this direction with my chainsaw paid off, for we encountered a tree across the Blue Trail.


Wide enough to fit your momma through.


We reached the road and followed it back to the park.

Another reason I wanted to trek this route this week was to see if Hubbard Park's secret decorators had adorned the tree adjacent to Echo Point with holiday cheer. If so, it would be the third or fourth year of this tradition.

Sure enough...take a walk on the road and check it out.


And it seems the Season of the Missing Glove is off to a roaring start, as I found Participant #3 on the first day of the season.


Looks like a relative of Mr. Hamburger Helper. However, I never found the spoon.


Jeff and I returned to the park to drop off our trash for the week. I hadn't forgotten about lunch...



No comments:

Post a Comment