Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Keeping Ahead of Things, 2nd Edition


Winter teases Merimere Reservoir with a thin rim of ice.

Visit #1175, Sunday 13 January 19, 11:25AM-1:45PM, 5.0 miles.
Temps in the 20's, mostly sunny with a light breeze.

For the second consecutive week I walked the road around Merimere Reservoir, keeping tabs on clean it was and keeping it that way for next week's Tradition Run.

Except this week, I would hike it in reverse, descending the road from West Peak.

I headed west and over I-691 and up to the Blue Trail toward West Peak. Shortly after picking up that trail I came upon a hemlock across the trail.


The tree was much longer than the photo suggests and it took some wrangling to the pull it downslope and off the trail. Much like bringing your cat to the vet.

While I was successful (you can see the tree's roots in the left foreground of the photo), there was another hemlock immediately behind it, as seen in the background of the photo. It wouldn't budge, and will have to wait for a Power Tool Weekend for me to remove it.


I reached West Peak and cleaned up the area as well as the parking lot, then walked the road down and back to the parking lot.

Up at West Peak, it was surprisingly calm and warm in the sun. Remember; the days are getting longer and the sun's coming back north!



Next week: "The New Metric". Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment