Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2019

The New Metric

Visit #1176, Saturday 19 January 19, 8:40-10:45AM, 4.8 miles.
Temps in the high 20's, mostly sunny.

Last week I found 2 fallen trees across the Blue Trail heading up to West Peak, but I was only able to remove one of them by hand. This week I returned with the chainsaw to remove the remaining tree.

With the Tradition Run set for the following day in Hubbard Park, Sunday the 20th, you could bet the runners would be keeping track of their running metrics using all the tech available to athletes today.

Mileage, time, heart rate, elevation gain, calories burned; the list goes on.

I too, have metrics, which I post at the beginning of each blog entry; my hike duration and distance. I also catalog how many bags of litter I collect, in the form of photos.

Today I'm adding another metric.

I hiked a clockwise loop, up and over I-691 to the trail with the fallen tree.


I probably could have used a bow saw to cut the tree, but I was looking forward to a Power Tool Weekend®, so I brought my chainsaw and performed a drive-through tree removal.


Just as I finished, a mountain biker came by, pushing his bike up the hill, with his two dogs chasing. He thanked me for clearing the trail, which should be obvious, but anyway lets me know I'm doing something appreciated by others.

I turned around, and covered all the trails below Castle Craig, no longer looking for fallen trees but picking up litter.

Enroute, I found Season of the Missing Glove 2018-19, Entrant #6.


I returned to the parking lot and deposited my trash for the week.


Oh; that new metric I'll be adding to my blog-the weight of my trash. I suspect people look at my bag of litter with little comprehension of the magnitude of what's been collected. Well, no more.

I purchased a luggage scale to weigh my trash.


You'd be surprised at what some of these bags weigh, and I'm curious myself at times. This week's bag was clearly on the low side and I'm sure it will trend that way for the rest of the winter.

This week's bag was 4.2lbs.
FYI: My backpack, with no tools but my usual supply, weighs 10lbs.
Today with the chainsaw, associated accessories, and loppers, as you see it in the photo above, weighs 27lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment