Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Seasonal Snake Alert


The trails in Hubbard Park are inviting, as long as you watch where you're stepping.

Visit #1198, Sunday 23 June 19, 7:35-9:50AM, 3.2 miles, 2.6lbs. of litter.

Temps in the low 70's, sunny and dry.

I received not one but TWO snake related stories this week so a word to the wise; you're safe on the trails but always keep an eye out for snakes.

The first story comes from a couple who passed by while I was trimming the trail. They had just seen a copperhead, on a section of trail I had been on minutes earlier. I was disappointed to not have seen it myself.

The second story was from a park regular who I ran into just prior to finishing my weekly duties. George told me he heard someone's dog was bitten by a copperhead earlier this week and unfortunately, the dog died. Yet another reason to keep your dog on a leash, especially while on the trails.

I brought more weed killer with me this week to open up the Green Trail. If next week's travels take me there, I'll show you the results.

When I was done with the Green Trail, I hiked up to the last section of the Yellow Trail, which I don't hike often. It was getting a smidge overgrown so I spent some quality time with hedge clippers and lopping shears trimming things back.

I found a container of snake wannabe's down by Merimere Reservoir.


So what's the difference between American nightcrawlers and Canadian nightcrawlers? I mean, can the Canadian nightcrawlers play hockey?

I also found this Blue Trail marker, which was removed from a tree. Previously, trail blazes were painted on the trees. It seems these markers are not that smart of an idea, if you can remove them.



I returned to the parking lot, not having seen or been bitten by a snake, or having been slammed into the boards by a hockey playing Canadian nightcrawler, and dropped off my trash for the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment