Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Tools


Both Saturday and Sunday were perfect weather days for hiking in Hubbard Park. I chose Saturday.

Visit #1196, Saturday 8 June 19, 7:50-10:30AM, 3.4 miles. Less than 1lb. of litter, 36lbs. of dirt/glass.
Temps in the low 70's, sunny and dry.

Earlier this week, the Record-Journal published an editorial from the Concord Monitor (New Hampshire) about unprepared hikers and the trouble they get into while hiking in the Granite State.
New Hampshire or Connecticut, makes no difference; even a short hike can quickly turn into a horror show if you're not at least marginally prepared.

Hikesafe.com offers comprehensive information of what you need to make your hikes safe and enjoyable.

Here's what I call my "basic load" when I hike in Hubbard Park.


Flashlight
2pr. work gloves
Pedometer
Camera, spare battery, tripod, and case
Toe and Hand Warmers
Bicycle Multi-Tool
Leatherman Tool
Eyeglass Cleaning Cloth
Bug Repellent
Graffiti Kit (Sandpaper, Graffiti Remover, scrub brush, rag)
Hubbard Park Maps (to hand out)
Energy Bar
2 pieces of rope
Portable Scale (for weighing litter)
First Aid Kit (with compass and emergency whistle)
30 gallon trash bags
13 gallon trash bags
Notepad, pens, and magic markers
Latex gloves
Facial Tissues (Toilet Paper)
Waterbottle
Dog Biscuits
Brain (not shown)

Today, I added the following:


Loppers and hedge clippers (usually included in my basic load, above)
Bow Saw
Shovel
Rake
Trash Bags
Weed Killer
Spray Bottle

There's a short, steep trail near the water tank where, sometime long ago, there was a house situated. I'm told they used to throw their bottles down the bank of this trail, and the trail, while only 50ft. long, is littered with broken glass.

I'm trying to  make a habit of once a year cleaning up some of this broken glass. The only way to do so is to rake the soil downhill and shovel it into bags. Every year, the soil releases more glass shards. Eventually, I expect to wind up with a glass-free trail.


This year, I collected 3 bags weighing 36lbs. total, which I left at the water treatment plant.


I hiked up to Merimere Reservoir and filled my spray bottle with water and weed killer to maintain the Green Trail. While filling up my bottle, some hikers told me they found some fishing line and hooks strewn about the shore, which they hung in a tree. I found the fishing tackle and put it in my trash bag.


Also on the Green Trail was a fallen tree I discovered last week.


As you can see, the bow saw was the tool of choice here. This trail can get overgrown quickly, hence the weed killer, along with some trimming.


I traveled on to the Halfway House where I found some new graffiti, which I'll take care of next week, because I DIDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TOOL THIS WEEK! Just goes to show what happens when you're unprepared...

Heading back to the park, I found this perfectly fine sweatshirt on the trail. I packed it in my backpack and will throw it in the wash, then donate it to Goodwill.


I returned to the park with surprisingly little trash this week.

At the walkbridge over I-691 I found some new graffiti which I promptly removed because I HAD THE RIGHT TOOLS!



Does anyone see the irony in the halo over the graffiti?



I returned to the parking lot with surprisingly little trash for the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment