Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Dedication


Meriden was in the midst of a heat wave. You'd think I would just stay home. But I'm dedicated. I also lack common sense...

Someone else who's dedicated is Director of the Parks Department, Chris Bourdon. Last week I left a bag of trash at West Peak, and sent him an e-mail asking him to send a crew to pick it up. I received a reply saying he would be out of the office for the week, which wouldn't do any good if you were a trash bag waiting for the bus.

I contacted an alternative but did not receive a reply. Out of curiosity, I rode my bike up to West Peak on Wednesday to check on the bag and it was gone. Thanks, Chris!

Visit #1203, Sunday 21 July 19, 6:30-9:10AM, 5.3 miles, 9.1lbs. of trash.
Temps in the 70's and rising to the 90's today, Relative Humidity 90%!

I left the parking lot wondering what this hike had in store for me; with the heat and humidity so high, you prepare and pray for the best. I packed extra water and wore light clothing; no jeans on a day like today.

I started my hike at the gate across the road where I noted last week the missing bollard had been replaced. This week I learned they weren't finished with their work then; the Parks Department returned, cut off the excess threads on the bolts, and spray painted over everything. Nice job.


Up the road, I reached Merimere Reservoir, where little bugs flitted along the surface of the water, just begging to become fish food.


 After pronouncing the bugs stupid to flirt with death (unless they were in a mating frenzy, in which case they were doubly stupid) I picked up the trails, making my way to the Halfway House, where I believe someone took the time to pick up some of the broken glass to be found inside the Halfway House, and intentionally left it for me. Not a problem, and I'm glad they did it.


The trails in Hubbard Park offer lots of shade, which was a necessity on a day like today, and the route I picked out provided plenty of it.


Turning up the steep trail to Castle Craig, I discovered wild raspberry bushes line the trail, and the fruit will be ready for picking soon.


I took a break at Castle Craig, and checked out the sunrise over Meriden.


Descending from Castle Craig, I made a brief circuit of the area and the parking lot picking up litter, and left a bag for Mr. Dedication and his crew to pick up.


I followed the road to a trail leading down to Merimere Reservoir, partly for the shade, and partly because I picked up trash from the road just last week so it should still be reasonably clean.

The heat and humidity affected creatures of all kinds. This guy wasn't exactly smoking his tires climbing up the tree.



Good thing I took the trail, as I discovered another hemlock has fallen across it. I'll remove it in two weeks.


I reached the bottom and followed the road back to the parking lot. Enroute, I discovered the city has been busy patching the potholes on the road around the reservoir with geometric precision, or an anal retentive parks worker!


In the aftermath of their work, they left this orphaned traffic cone.


I know the cone still worked, because I had to walk around it. 😏
I picked up the cone intending to bring it back to the parks department garage. Instead, along the way, I spied another cone at the water treatment plant and reunited mother and child.


Back at the parking lot I deposited my second bag of trash and my remaining sweat.



No comments:

Post a Comment