Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Rescue Mission


Geese roam the grounds adjacent to the Hubbard Park playscape.

Visit #1206, Sunday 11 August 19, 7:10-9:20AM, 4.4 miles, 11.1lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 60's, sunny and dry.

Reading Mike Roberts' "Woods 'N' Water column last week about the overpopulation of canada geese in the area,  I decided to perform a little census myself in Hubbard Park. I counted 39 geese on the patch of land above. That's a lot of fertilizer.

During last week's foray onto the trails in Hubbard Park, I found a shovel but my hands were full so I could not bring it back to the park. This week I would be on a mission to rescue the wayward shovel.

I walked around the road to Merimere Reservoir and enjoyed the weather as well the peace and quiet of an early morning.


I reached the trailhead and upon locating the shovel, and reaching to pick it up by the handle, it promptly broke.



 Sheesh; my grand plan to restore the shovel was dashed. Or was it?

This time I had a lighter load and freer hands to carry it back.

Up over the hill, down and over I-691, and I was back at the park to deposit my litter for the week.


Upon arriving home, I began my shovel restoration. My process is evolving as I progress. Stay tuned to see if I succeed or give up. I could leave it at Hubbard Park to shovel up goose poop...






No comments:

Post a Comment