Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2019

The Windy City


There's a squirrel buffet in Hubbard Park. 'Tis the season to start hoarding.

Visit #1217, Sunday 20 October 19, 7:45-10:15AM, 5.1 miles, 2.9lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 40's and rising quickly, sunny.

Two weeks ago, Meriden experienced some high winds, felling some branches and trees as I discovered on last week's hike.

Well, while I was away this past week in the Original Windy City, Chicago, Meriden was fighting to lay claim to that title as I learned upon my return. High winds and rain meant possibly more fallen trees and such, so I thought it would be wise to check out the trails in advance of Sunday's hike.

On Saturday I rode my mountain bike in Hubbard Park to inspect the trails to help plan Sunday's route.


I did find a couple fallen trees I was previously unaware of, which made the ride worthwhile. The weather on Saturday made it enjoyable.



On Sunday I arrived with my chainsaw to take care of business, and ran into a fundraising walk for liver cancer. It was a mob scene, which I suppose is a good thing if it supports efforts to end liver cancer.


I hiked up to the south end of Merimere Reservoir, to the first fallen tree, which I discovered last week. The event organizers were setting up a checkpoint along the road, as you can see by the van in the background.


I diced this tree up and cast the pieces aside, and hikers quickly took advantage of the open trail.


I followed the trails below Castle Craig to my next tree. On Saturday, I was able to move part of it as it broke while doing so. The stub sticking in the trail had to go.


Done.


Still on this trail, I came upon yet another of the many painted rocks I continue to find along the trails. This rock is giving us a little clue as to who's behind the work and where they're from.




Up I hiked, to the road leading to Castle Craig. I turned onto another trail that leads down to Merimere Reservoir, in search of the last of the fallen trees. Along the way, I discovered a very old campsite. What caught my eye was a cinder block, which was pretty much the only cinder block within a mile, perhaps the radio equipment buildings at West Peak. Situated as it was next to a ring of stones, it must have been used as seating. Look at the lower left of the photo, and you'll see the rusted remnant of a can, presumably formerly containing food. I have to wonder how long ago this little campfire site was used, and how far they carried the cinder block.


I reached the last tree, cut it up, and easily flipped the stump out of the way.



Reaching the north end of Merimere Reservoir, I walked the road back to the park.


Along the way, I ran smack dab into the multitudes of fundraising walkers, some wearing Halloween costumes.

The organizers used signage to mark the route versus spray paint on the road, which I complained about last week.


I reached the park and dropped off my trash for the week.


By the way, the foliage was near peak on Sunday, and forecasters predict it will peak sometime this week. Do get out there and enjoy the colors of autumn!



No comments:

Post a Comment