Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Another Power Tool Weekend


The Covid-19 pandemic gets serious in Hubbard Park.

Visit # 1239, Saturday 28 March 20, 7:00-10:30AM, 5.9 miles, 9.9lbs. of litter.
Temps in the low 40's, clouding up in anticipation of afternoon rain.

I received a call last week from a regular hiker who enjoys Hubbard Park telling me of a fallen tree across a trail near Castle Craig. After hearing his description of the tree's location, I remembered it as something I had long since found and forgotten. Time to take action.

I started early in part so as not to disturb the larger numbers of people who hike during the middle of the day. Those numbers have increased significantly with the cabin fever being felt by people who are practicing "safe distancing"  due to the Covid-19 virus. I also was aware of rain forecast for the afternoon and for Sunday, and wanted to avoid it.

Hiking behind the water tank, I found two saplings that suffered from unusual, uncalled for damage.



Peculiar, and unnecessary. I cut both of them at the base.

I reached the Blue Trail and hiked my way to the tree which was reported to me.


You can see the Castle Craig parking lot in the background, for reference.


It was a quick, easy job.


Packing up, I followed the Blue Trail along the ridge line of Merimere Reservoir.

I found this painted rock along the trail. This isn't the first time I've come across such rocks.


I turned it over expecting to see more than green paint. I was right. It was hard to decipher.


Further on, I found Season of the Missing Glove 2019/20 #16.


Chugging further along, I found more use for my chainsaw.



The trail descends moderately, reaching the north end of Merimere Reservoir. I picked up the road and walked back toward the park.

Enroute, I found my second winter hat within 3 weeks. When Goodwill reopens after the state government eases pandemic restrictions, I'll donate both hats.


Here's a sample of the increased number of people walking in Hubbard Park as a result of Covid-19
and the social distancing being requested of the public. There were many such clusters of people on the road.


I dropped off my trash for the week, at a deserted playscape.


If you're practicing social distancing and need a short term cure for your cabin fever, I can't think of a better prescription than a hike up to Castle Craig.


No comments:

Post a Comment