Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Nothing Stops The Daffodils


Even the Coronavirus pandemic can't stop the daffodils, but it can stop the Daffodil Festival, a 42 year tradition in Meriden.

Visit #1237, Sunday 15 March 20, 9:20-11:30AM, 4.1 miles, 11.2 lbs. of litter.


It didn't stop me from venturing out to Hubbard Park this weekend, nor did it stop many others hiking and walking their dogs in the park.

After painting over some graffiti last week on the I-691 walkbridge, I was curious to see if anyone managed to step in the paint before it dried, so I made tracks of my own from the park to the walkbridge.

No.


Good thing I headed in this direction; I found some new graffiti on the end of the bridge which needed attention.


A little sandpaper and I removed it in a minute.


Now I know what you're askin': What's a "Hollaback Girl"? I had to look it up myself.

And then, I had to watch the Gwen Stefani video to see what all the fuss was about. This is the "clean" version. For the explicit lyrics version, go HERE.


I hiked over to the end of the trail across from Belmont Avenue, then turned around and returned to the park via the trails, picking up litter along the way.

I cleaned up the parking area in the northwest corner of Mirror Lake, and around the Soap Box Derby track and the retention ponds.

Reaching the gate, I came upon my Find of the Week, which I'll wash and deliver to Goodwill.



Since I was on-call this week I wasn't straying far from my van. I returned to the park with time on my hands so I took this opportunity to clean up the park proper, covering Mirror Lake, behind the bandshell, and along the brook running from the old petting zoo down to West Main Street.


I finished by cleaning the outside perimeter of the playscape.



As far as I know, you can't catch Covid-19 from daffodils so like many people did today, visit Hubbard Park before you go stir crazy from quarantine, self-imposed or otherwise.




No comments:

Post a Comment