Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Kindred Spirits


 I chose the best "weather day" of the Labor Day weekend to hike in Hubbard Park. Monday is not too promising.

Visit #1384, Saturday 3 September 22, 6:25-10:30AM, 5.2 miles, 5.6 lbs. of litter.

Early morning temps in the 50s, warming to the 70s, sunny.

In a familiar scene indicative of the changing seasons, I noticed the fog clinging to the surface of Mirror Lake when I arrived early Saturday morning. While it was cooly pleasant when I arrived, it warmed up such that my jeans weren't quite called for.

As I hiked around Merimere Reservoir, I checked on the progress of the alligator. If current conditions persist, pretty soon there will be a land bridge from the shore to the alligator.

As you can see from the alligator photo, it was another week trimming the roadside trees.

Conditions were perfect except for those sticky jeans!

Last week while entering Hubbard Park I watched an older woman picking up litter around the duck house at Mirror Lake. It was nice to see. Later that day while walking up the road around Merimere Reservoir, some walkers complimented me on my trash pickup and mentioned they know someone else who does the same in Hubbard Park.

And this morning as I was trimming my way up toward East/West Peak, I met these two true gentlemen.

Kent and Bruce are from the Cheshire area. They love the park so much, and after recently seeing a local not-to-be-named football team littering while in the park, were sparked to action. I believe they said it was their fourth time cleaning up in Hubbard Park. They passed by me on their way up the road, and I was still trimming as they returned from Castle Craig with their bounty. Both were jazzed by the performance of their "grabbers", and Bruce was especially proud of his bag holder, which he fabricated by cutting off most of a Home Depot project bucket. These guys HAD to be engineers! Well it doesn't matter what they do for a living; what they're doing in Hubbard Park is just great.

I finished my roadside trimming for the day and made my way back toward the park. Crossing the walkbridge over I-691 I spotted some new graffiti and took the time to remove it with some sandpaper and elbow grease.



I hope you'll take the time to enjoy the remainder of the Labor Day weekend, weather be damned!



No comments:

Post a Comment