Pages

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Re-work

 

"On A Foggy Night" (Morning, actually) would be appropriate for today's hike. Tom Waits would best set the mood.

Visit #1419, Sunday 16 April 23, 6:40-8:55AM, 4.2 miles, 2.5 lbs. of litter.
Temps in the 60s, cloudy and very foggy.

It seems I'm not paying attention to my work in Hubbard Park, and due to such poor quality control on my part I was doomed this week to return and tie up the loose ends.

I rode my mountain bike into the park earlier this week specifically to retreive one of the pink ribbons I had neglected to remove on last week's hike. I eventually collected three or four more during the ride.


The graffiti I supposedly removed last week-well, I didn't do such a hot job as I could still see it when I entered the park on my mountain bike. This morning I would have to finish the job.



A second round of elbow grease did the job.

Next on my re-do list: During last week's hike I found a street sign had been uprooted. I don't believe it was vandalism but probably bulldozed over by by a careless worker while stacking logs nearby, or the sign was just plain in the way.

So on this Sunday morning as I walked up the road I searched for the sign and hoped to secure it before it disappeared.


The sign hasn't moved.


I wanted to secure it to something until it could be reinstalled, so I brought some ty-raps with me and lashed it to an existing sign.




Since this sign has a gimpy leg I imagine it will need a new post. I'll give the Meriden Parks Department a heads up so they can restore it to it's original resting place.

Further up the road I spied something stashed behind a tree.


Laid out on the road, I saw it was a hoodie. If it comes through the wash clean, I'll take it to Goodwill otherwise it will wind up in my rag pile.


At Castle Craig I found some new graffiti on the outside. I removed it hoping it won't require re-work.








Then it was back to the re-work.

In trips past, I had missed covering this illegal trail marker.  There's no After photo, but I did cover it.


And in the "Re-work the Re-work Department" I discovered this tree across the trail last week but failed to remove it. And I brought the wrong tools this week to remove it! So yet a third trip to this trail will be required. Fortunately it's easy to walk around it so removing it is not urgent.


By now the fog was lifting. Well, from the park at least.  My foggy brain which lead to all this re-work still needs to clear.




No comments:

Post a Comment