Pages

Sunday, September 3, 2023

Power Tool Holiday

 

Visit #1439, Saturday 2 September 23, 7:25-10:10AM, 3.6 miles, 3.0 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 70s, rising through the 80s, sunshine and moderate humidity.

Visit #1440, Sunday 3 September 23, 7:25-8:30AM, mileage n/a, 2.0 lbs. of litter.

Same weather as Saturday with slightly higher temps.

I was on the hunt for fallen trees this week, having seen them while hiking last week.

While hiking to the first tree, I found this microfiber cloth hanging from a branch.

In fact, I've found a lot of microfiber cloths in Hubbard Park.

Now let's get to that tree and have some fun!

That was what it looked like last week.

Thirty minute's work and the trail is clear.

While cutting up the tree I noticed this:

Someone drove nails into the tree in an attempt to foul my chainsaw. I can think of no other reason. Yeah; I have my haters in Hubbard Park.

Further up the trail was the second tree.


Next up was this branch which has been bugging me for a few years.

In this archival photo, you can see the branch has not broken away from the tree but hangs there. Throughout the past few years I would occasionally trim away some of the smaller branches supporting the branch from the ground.

Today I removed all but one, because it is too dangerous to cut the last support. I'm hoping the weight of the main branch will collapse all support and drop it to the ground. I also have another diabolical plan which will remain secret, but I may attempt it soon. For now, there's a safe path around it.

Down at Merimere Reservoir I started to trim around a No Trespassing Sign I discussed last week, to improve its visibility. I plan to trim more perhaps next week, and take better photos.

Before:


After:


Shortly after finishing this, I was approached by a hiker who noticed the other trail work I did today and was nice enough to tell me about more fallen trees on another trail in Hubbard Park. I told him I would remove them in the next couple weeks.
Then he proceeded to tell me ABOUT FALLEN TREES IN  GIUFFRIDA PARK, as if I should put them on my schedule! I kindly told him no thank you and kept my mouth shut.

Last week I was informed by someone of some graffiti up by Castle Craig, so I returned to Hubbard Park early Sunday morning in the hope of finding and removing it.

I had no luck finding the graffiti and will try again. While I was up at Castle Craig I picked up litter and did something crazy; I swept the inside of Castle Craig. I could have used stiffer bristles on my equipment, but I made do with what I had on hand.


Driving back down the road, I redeemed myself from not finding the graffiti I was in search of, and removed graffiti from a sign at the north end of Merimere Reservoir.



(Edit: I returned to Hubbard Park on Labor Day to discover the bollard at the gate across the road was missing. I reported this to the Meriden Parks Department. It was replaced the following week).



Now it's time to relax and enjoy my Labor Day. I hope do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment