Pages

Sunday, December 17, 2023

In Before The Lock


 I was in Hubbard Park this morning before sunrise (which was supposed to be 7:11AM, IF there were sun.)

Apologies for some of the blurry photos; it was still dark and thus long exposure times.

Visit #1456, Sunday 17 December 2, 6:50-10:15AM, 4.9 miles, 4.5 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the 40s, cloudy with rain developing.

Last week while I was in Hubbard Park I noticed someone had newly attached a padlock to the fencing surrounding the walkbridge over I-691. I started early this morning because I would be using boltcutters, and anyone driving on I-691 seeing someone using boltcutters on the fencing might be inclined to call the gendarmes, causing a kerfuffle. I was trying to avoid a kerfuffle.

Reaching the entrance to the walkbridge, I found this new graffiti on a post. This seems to be a popular spot to put stickers and whatnot as I've found things here many times in the past.


I gave the post a proper exfoliation.

I stepped on to the walkbridge and discovered in the intervening week another FIVE locks were added. My boltcutters and my arms got a small workout.



Even this lock's hardened, shaped shackle succumbed to my wishes.





Hiking up to the wooden walkbridge where I dispatched a fallen tree last week, prying hands couldn't leave the cut pieces where they lay, and rolled them downslope.


I hiked up toward Castle Craig then followed a trail down to Merimere Reservoir. Along the way I found a newly fallen tree, which I hope to remove next week.

Reaching the trail's end and walking the road around the reservoir and back to the park, I noticed some graffiti on a sign posted at the north gate. I was going to ignore it but changed my mind.

Here it is after I applied the first spray of remover, smeared by my rag.

A few rounds of solution and a rag and, done.

The clouds and forecasted rain must have kept people away from the park. It was amazingly quiet as I walked.


I dropped off my bag of litter for the week.


Walking back to my car, I found a microfleece blanket in good condition. If it still looks good after washing, I'll drop it off at Goodwill.

Just as I returned to the parking lot, it started to drizzle. In before the lock!




2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog my friend. The world needs more men like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete