Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2023

The Big Johnson

This week I had to haul out the big guns.

Visit #1455, Saturday 9 December 23, 8:00-10:45AM, 5.1 miles, 4.3 lbs. of litter.

Temps in the comfortable 40s rising to the 50s, sunny with increasing clouds.

First, this week I'd like to welcome three newly elected city councilors to my blog's distribution list- Chad Cardillo, Joe Scaramuzzo, and Michael Zakrzewski. A few weeks reading my blog and they may regret having ever run for office. 😉

Last week I reported finding a large, newly fallen tree near the wooden walkbridge. My chainsaw's 16" bar and safety chain, while capable of handling the tree, would require much extra work. So this week I put my chainsaw on a regimen of steroids ( a 20" bar and aggressively profiled chain) so I could go mondo ape-poop on it and not spend all day making chips and sawdust.

Despite the early hour and the December calendar, it was quite comfortable outside.

Let's open up that trail.

Don't worry; that one wayward log was moved in-line with the others to maintain that trail "Feng Shui".

While imposing my will on that fallen tree, a passing hiker informed me of another tree that needed tending to, so off I went in search of it.

Is that it?! I was disappointed in the lack of a challenge. I removed it anyway.

I hiked up to the road heading toward Castle Craig, then walked the road down toward Merimere Reservoir, picking up litter along the way.

My Find of the Week-

It's the second consecutive week I've found underwear in Hubbard Park, although I'm not sure what it means. They say things run in "threes" so should I expect to find another pair next week?

Walking on the road around Merimere Reservoir and passing by Echo Point, I see that a wreath has been added to the holiday display there.

Continuing that "second consecutive week" vein, last week I reported placing a wayward sign against the fence of the water treatment plant assuming the water department staff would dispose of it.

I guess I was overestimating the abilities of the staff for this week I found the sign was merely cast aside.

You put one quarter in, you get ONE turn of the wheel.

Let's try this again.

I'll be putting the Big Johnson away until the next formidable foe comes along.



No comments:

Post a Comment