Pages

Saturday, January 20, 2024

The Bernie Jurale Tradition Run 2024 Preview

 

Planning on running tomorrow? That's what you're in for.

Visit #1462, Saturday 20 January 24, 11:50AM-1:35PM, 4.7 miles, negligible litter.

Temps in the teens; wicked cold joined by a wicked cold wind.

I know this report won't reach many participants soon enough, but it doesn't hurt to try. I deliberately used the event name in the title hoping it will result in more search results. Otherwise I was going to title this blog entry "Nonsense" as in, running in this cold weather would be nonsense!, and for another reason which you shall read later.

I started this weekend's hike later than usual in an attempt to squeeze some warmth out of the sky. Didn't work much.

Apparent from the empty parking lot, most people stayed home in this weather.


Even the start banner looked cold.


Bernie's been composting for a few decades now, but the event lives on.

The first stretch up to the south end of Merimere Reservoir is deceiving. The thin layer of snow and visible pavement leads you to a false sense of security.


As you can see, the drilling rig is still in place.

Immediately conditions change, and drastically. But hey; that's what you nutballs running tomorrow live for, right?!


Well, enjoy it!


While I didn't put on my ice cleats, I did bring walking poles for a measure of security. While trudging along I did find Season of the Missing Glove 2023/24, entry #4.


Up at Echo Point, the Christmas Tree decorations have been removed but the wreath has not been taken down. That may be my job next week.



You know it's cold when the reservoir freezes over.


It's snow covered all the way to Castle Craig, with hidden icy spots. No, it's not just spots; the entire road is out to get you. I don't believe they can sand the road because of road salt leeching into the reservoir.


Part of the reason I hiked this route today was so I could check on the I-691 walkbridge and the sudden appearance of padlocks on the fencing.

I could not figure out the reasoning for their recent presence. Thank goodness for astute follower of this blog, Mike G. (ham radio call sign KN4PRR) who informed me it is part of the trend called 
"love locks". You can click on the link and go down your own rabbit hole. I wanted to check on the fence this week to see if this nonsense has continued for the "X" consecutive week. No. I'll keep an eye, and some bolt cutters, on it.


Maybe our lovers should stick their tongues on the bridge to show their devotion to each other...Tee hee!

My Find of the Week was this frozen solid towel. I can always use another shop rag.


Truth be told I was pretty warm as I was dressed appropriately, and kept moving. That should be the theme for particpants in tomorrow's event. Be careful and have fun; I'll be having hot chocolate...


No comments:

Post a Comment