Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Kindness of Others


Looking east from West Peak.

Visit #844, Sunday 12 January 14, 10:00AM-12:40PM, 6.2 miles.
Temps in the low 40's, mostly cloudy.

Picking up trash can wear you down, but every once in a while something happens that rejuvenates my faith in man.

I thought the trails would be too muddy to navigate today and I hadn't been up to West Peak in a while so I chose to walk the road all the way up, collecting trash as I walked. Also, with the Tradition Run coming up soon, it'd be nice to have the route looking clean; next week I'll clean around Castle Craig to complete the course.

I had about half a bag after crossing the north end of Merimere Reservoir and at the rate I was going, thought I'd have to leave it somewhere and start another one. For various reasons, I prefer to not do that if I can.

Just then I ran into Jack Clancy, a local and regular walker in Hubbard Park. Out of the blue he asks if I'd like for him to carry my bag of trash back to the park. Boy, I sure would! Faith in humanity restored.
Thanks, Jack.


This freed me up to start a second bag which would probably last the distance to West Peak and back to the park. It did. I cleaned up the parking lot at West Peak and the peak itself, then made my way down and back to the park via the I-691 walkbridge.


Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment