Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

More White Stuff to Play In


Meriden is out there somewhere...

Visit #850, Saturday 15 February 14, 11:05AM-1:35PM, 5.5 miles.
Temps in the low 30's, developing snow. 2-5" predicted.

Yet more snow fell during the week, adding to the perfect snow base.

I planned on "merely" walking the road from the park up to West Peak. Good thing I brought the snowshoes and crampons.

As I made my way up the road toward the south end of Merimere Reservoir, I ran into too many people that expressed to me their disappointment in having to turn back because the road was not plowed beyond the dam at the south end.



I too expected asphalt, or at least lots of ice with PATCHES of asphalt. But I was prepared for anything. The snow was deeper than it looks in the photo. Once on the snow I switched from my crampons to the snowshoes and found myself alone as I crunched my way to West Peak.

Freezing rain from Friday night brought down thousands of small branches, littering the road.



Just as I reached West Peak, the snow began to fall. I snowshoed down the trail and back to the park via the Halfway House.

The 2 pieces of trash I found consisted of a cardboard case from a six-pack of Bud Light, and the packaging from a Wham-o Polar Bear Air Tube. Both were found by the water tank, which makes me wonder if they were related.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment