Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Let's Be Consistent


South Mountain, seen through the snow from high above Merimere Reservoir.

Visit #939, Sunday 1 March 15, 1:35-4:00PM, 6.2 miles.
Temps in the 20's, snowfall with accumulations of 2-5" expected.

I deliberately waited until Sunday, until Sunday afternoon that is, so I could say it snowed for the zillionth consecutive weekend while I was out in Hubbard Park. I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of my snowshoes this winter.

Okay; so I'm a glutton for punishment. But the weather and the solitude are just too tempting to stay home and do anything else.

I snowshoed from the parking lot all the way up to just below Castle Craig. Although it was steep and I've hiked this trail countless times, the dense snow made the trail seemed paved.


Just prior to reaching Castle Craig, I diverted straight into the woods to avoid the road, and pioneered my way to find the trail which would lead me down to Merimere Reservoir.


With my snowshoes, I could pretty much pick whichever direction I wanted to go without being hindered by any obstacle. Once on track, I followed the path downhill until I met the reservoir. Then I picked up the Blue Trail, intending to head back up toward Castle Craig.


The spillway at the north end of Merimere Reservoir.

The high winds along the western ridgeline of the reservoir stung with the wet, falling snow. Away from the cliffs it was much more calm.


After reaching Castle Craig again, I chose to follow the road to the trail, and down to I-691.


I-691 East was a parade of brake lights. It was slippery out there!

My Find of the Week:


It's rare for me to find a complete pair of gloves, but every year I can count on picking up a handful of singles.

Let's see if I can remain consistent next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment