Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Art of Bluffing


Visit #959, Saturday 20 June 15, 12:00-3:15PM, mileage unknown.
Temps in the mid-70's with mild humidity and cloudy skies.

I had the opportunity to ride my mountain bike in Hubbard Park on Friday and recon the trails. It's an efficient way of judging the status of things as well as getting a workout at the same time. The ride paid off as I found a tree had fallen across one trail and would need to be removed. Now I would know which trail to hike and what tools to bring.

Things started off innocently enough, walking from the park to the south end of Merimere Reservoir. While picking up trash around the south end of the reservoir, a young man, tattooed up both arms, an unlit cigarette dangling from his mouth, carrying a selection of fishing rods and a backpack, parked his car against the gate, and proceeded to walk toward me.

When we crossed paths, the conversation went something like this:

Me: Fishing isn't allowed in the reservoir.
Him: (Laughs) What are you gonna do about it?
Me: I guess I'll call the police.

Well, that prompted a quick U-turn by the tough guy so now we're both walking in the same direction, toward his car.

Him: Don't talk to ME like that!
Me: What did I say that offended you?
Him: You know, a lot of people fish here; you'll have to camp out if you want to catch all of them.
Me: I don't expect to catch all of them, just those I see.

He took his tattoos, his cigarette, and his fishing gear and left.

Problem is, I don't own a cellphone! But in today's society, it's presumed pretty much everyone does. It was a spontaneous bluff. I should play poker...

After that entertainment, I continued on the trails, picking up trash and trimming where necessary.

I reached the tree which had fallen across the trail.


Too long and clumsy to carry, with a small canopy at the top. That's why the recon ride on the bike paid off; I knew what to bring to easily clear the tree from the trail.

I connected to the tree with my web strap using a cow hitch and with a minimum of wrestling, dragged the tree off-trail.


I cleaned up the remaining trails and deposited my trash at the playscape.




No comments:

Post a Comment