Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

Peter's Holiday Fireworks

Visit #961, Friday 3 July 15, 3.5 miles.
Temps in the low 80's, sunny, dry, and silly pleasant.

This week's post is early because I'm very busy. Look at it this way; you've got all holiday weekend to enjoy my blog entry, and you know you want to!


In previous posts I mentioned I'd be continuing with my Five Year Plan during holiday weekends.

Well, the July 4th weekend began my final and most ambitious project to date, and it went off with a bang.

The parking lot at West Peak, particularly the eastern perimeter, has been neglected for decades. Trees were overhanging the pavement so much that it was affecting parking on that edge. Today was the day I began to do something about it.

This entailed, horror of horrors, actually DRIVING up to West Peak. Unheard of for me, but I needed to bring a ladder to trim effectively.


This is a view north, from the southeast corner of the parking lot. You can clearly see how far many branches are extending over the pavement.


All the requisite tools are assembled, now let's go!


This gives you a basic idea of the work; drop the branches/trees, cut them up, and toss them into the woods. It was pointed out to me that doing so will make it more difficult to find all the trash that's tossed beyond the guardrail. Hopefully once the leaves decay finding trash won't be that much of a problem.


My ladder is in the background where I finished for the day. You can't quite see the improvement in this photo.

 I could only allot 2 hours for today's work. It was tempting to continue and put this chore to bed, but It will have to wait until perhaps Labor Day weekend.


This view of the northeast end of the parking lot shows the work left for the future. I'm over half way done. The work went faster than expected and I was well pleased with the results.


Here's the view back upon my progress today. You can clearly see the overhead clearance and how it enables vehicles to tuck into the parking lot's perimeter.

If you get a chance, check out my work in person and you'll be able to compare the finished portion with the unfinished. I'd enjoy to hear any comments you may have.

Gotta run-don't lose any fingers this weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment