Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Finds of the Week


Visit #983, Saturday 7 November 15, 9:30-11:45AM, 5.1 miles.
Temps in the low 50's, sunny.

Thanks to Paul Bernier, who assisted me this week keeping Hubbard Park clean.

Every once in a while I find something other than the ordinary trash I pick up. This week the hits just kept coming.

Now that the road to East and West Peak is closed for the season, it would be a good time to catch up on the trash tossed by people in vehicles. So, Paul and I parked outside the north end of Hubbard Park and walked the road up to both peaks and cleaned up the parking lots as well as the roadsides.

I also wanted to check on the status of the telephone pole which I found moved out of place last week. I had asked the Meriden Parks Department to put it back in place as it's too heavy for even two people to move. Alas, it hasn't been restored yet.


Paul and I moved on, cleaning up the West Peak parking lot and surround trails, where I collected my first Find of the Week.


We then walked the road over to Castle Craig and cleaned up the road and parking lot and in the process collecting the majority of our Finds of the Week. Someone must have left out Halloween candy in this bowl, Find of the Week #2.


Unfortunately, Find of the Week #3 was someone's prescription glasses.


Last Find of the Week was this padlock. An unusual way to express one's love.


Paul and I left 3 bags of trash at Castle Craig. I'll contact the Meriden Parks Department to collect them.


Hiking the trail down and back to my car we managed to gather one more bag of trash.


I returned to Hubbard Park on Sunday morning by bike because one of my informants told me that it took only ONE DAY after the parks department put up the signs declaring the road closed for the season, that they were tagged with graffiti. I wanted to document this myself.

The park has become increasingly popular for running events; this Sunday morning was no exception.

 


I'll notify the parks department of this and see if they can't erase it. I know they're busy making preparations for the holiday lights in Hubbard Park so I'm sure they have their hands full.

No comments:

Post a Comment