Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2015

On The Slopes, Part I


This is December?!

Visit #990, Saturday 5 December 15, 10:00AM-12:00PM, 4.8 miles.
Temps rising to 50, sunny.

Thanks to Paul Bernier, who joined me this week in keeping the trails of Hubbard Park clean.

Once a year I traverse the steep talus slope below Castle Craig, picking up litter people toss over the wall. Walking is difficult on the loose rock. I learned this year I should wait a few more weeks for the ground to freeze and hold some of the rocks in place and firm up the soil. Let's hope I remember for 2016.

Paul and I started at the parking lot and hiked the trails up the Castle Craig, collecting trash along the way. Arriving at the Castle parking lot, we cleaned up the perimeter and left a bag there for later pickup.


The weather was spectacular for December and afforded us balmy views in all directions, including back down to Mirror Lake.


All our previous years' work must be paying off for we didn't collect as many bags of trash as in the past. This is a good thing because crawling around on the slope to reach it is a pain.

Paul and I finished and returned to the park, leaving our bags of trash at the water treatment plant because it was occupied and we figured it would be picked up quickly.


Next week I hope to work on an easier slope. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment