Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Can't Keep It Secret

Visit #1029, Saturday 6 August 16, 6:30-8:00AM, 3.5 miles.
Temps in the high 70's, sunny and very humid.

Last week I discovered a tree had fallen across the trail behind the bank of daffodils, on the northern side of Mirror Lake. Since it was so close to the highly populated section of the park, I didn't want to draw attention by running a chainsaw during the middle of the day. So, I decided to start early in the morning, presuming there would be no one in the park.

I was wrong.

Even at 6:30AM, there was a smattering of hikers, walkers, and anglers. There was even a city worker at the pool. I guess once I started my chainsaw, the secret would be out, but I decided to give it a go anyway.

Since the fallen tree was so close to the parking lot, I planned to return to my vehicle and drop the saw off when I was done, which would make for easier hiking and bending over to pick up trash.


It took roughly 20 minutes to clear the tree and whatever debris  was created when it fell.


Being so early in the morning, most people will never know who did this, so perhaps my secret will remain.

In the process of removing the tree, I came upon specimen #16 from the 2016 Season of the Missing Glove®.


I cleaned up all the trails south of I-691, then walked a road loop around the Soap Box Derby track, by the retention ponds, and back to the park, where I deposited my bag of trash for the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment