Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Embracing The Suck


A steady rain fell over Meriden for most of Sunday.

Visit #1039, Sunday 9 October 16, 7:25-10:05AM, 5.3 miles.
Temps in the mid-50's, rain.

Dress right, generate some heat, and the rain isn't so bad.

Tip: I wear latex gloves under my work gloves when it rains. Keeping my hands dry keeps them warmer.

Rain kept the park mostly devoid of visitors. Anyone I saw gets extra credit for being outside on such a day as this.

I hiked up the Soap Box Derby track, behind the water tank, up to the Halfway House, and on to Castle Craig, where I cleaned up the parking lot. In the process I found a broken mirror. I left my first trash bag next to it so the parks crew can easily locate both. I'll contact the Parks Department to pick up everything and suggest they bring a broom.


Leaving the parking lot, I walked the road until I picked up the Red Dot trail, which dumps out at the north end of Merimere Reservoir.


The tranquility continued as I walked the road back to the park, collecting trash as I went.


When I finished my hike and dropped off my last bag of trash it was still raining.


Overall, a nice day to either stay inside, or embrace the suck and enjoy a hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment