Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2016

On The Road Again


Water levels are even lower than last year when Merimere Reservoir was called in to use while the Broad Brook Reservoir underwent repairs. The drought continues.

Visit #1043, Sunday 6 November 16, 7:40-10:30AM, 4.5 miles.
Temps in the low 50's; mostly cloudy with a brisk breeze.

This is the beginning of the season where the road to Castle Craig/West Peak is closed to traffic. Hikers and walkers look forward to having unfettered use of the road. I wanted to take advantage of the conditions myself and pick up trash along the roadsides.


This was a welcome sign to see. I removed the sticker as part of my beautification program ;-) .

I no sooner peeled the sticker off the sign when I ran into a "park regular" who found the driver's license of a Meriden resident while walking the road, and didn't know what to do with it. I took it off his hands, and when I was done in Hubbard Park, dropped the license off at the Meriden Police Department. Ten bucks if you can name the owner!



Nearing the north end of Merimere Reservoir, I chanced upon this fallen tree. I'll contact the Meriden Parks Department and ask them to remove it. If it's not removed by then, maybe I'll bring my chainsaw and take care of it myself; I'm dying to try out my new backpack and see how it handles carrying a saw.


People enjoying the walk up the road. I was surprised at the activity considering the temperatures and the early morning hour.


I reached the fork in the road to East/West Peak and hiked the trails down and over I-691.

Back at the parking lot, I dropped off my bag of trash for the week. With the road closed for the season, I expect it will be easier to keep clean, until next year.



Get out to Hubbard Park and enjoy the waning fall colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment