Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Quick Work


A tranquil Sunday morning Mirror Lake. There were some anglers taking advantage of the lake's fishing opportunities even this early in the day.

Visit #1075, Sunday 21 May 17, 7:45-9:40AM, 3.1 miles.
Temps in the 50's, mostly sunny and calm.

I was on-call so I didn't plan on any lengthy, far-reaching trail maintenance session today.

After last week's trail work, I noticed some new graffiti on the I-691 walkbridge. Since it appeared to be done in something other than spray paint, I thought I'd be able to use some sort of cleaner on it to make quick work of its removal. But neither Goof-Off nor WD-40 would touch it. Nor would my wire brush.  Next time, if I think of it, I'll try a stronger solvent such as mineral spirits.

Good thing I had a Plan B.

This was my first stop.


After the solvents and wire brush failed, I broke out a simple piece of 80 grit sandpaper, which has NEVER failed on steel. Boom; quick work indeed!


The only reason for the clump of paint on the sandpaper was the WD-40 I sprayed on the graffiti in my first attempt. Clogged sandpaper doesn't work well. Lesson learned, all the other graffiti was removed "dry" and the sandpaper worked like a charm.









While on the walkbridge, I noticed one of the two American flags placed last year by persons unknown, has been taken. To be fair it was beginning to get tattered so I'm inclined to think it wasn't stolen but rightly removed. Stay tuned this month because usually new flags are put up on the walkbridge around Memorial Day. I'll report if and when it happens.


After I eradicated the graffiti on the walkbridge, I turned my attention back to the trails and more litter collection. I also trimmed the trails of thorn bushes which grow like weeds once the temps reach the 60's or so.

There's been an ahem, a bumper crop of condoms this year in Hubbard Park. This is #5 for 2017 but who's counting?


I covered the trail all the way to West Main Street and Belmont Avenue, then turned around and hiked back to the park. A loop around the Soap Box Derby track and I was done, turning in my bag of trash for the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment