Pages

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Multiplicity

Visit #1078, Monday 29 May 17 (Memorial Day), 1:50-3:00PM, 3.2 miles.
Temps in the mid-60's, cloudy with drizzle.

Visit #1079, Tuesday 30 May 17, 6:30-6:45PM, mileage n/a.
Temps in the 60's, cloudy with intermittent light drizzle.

Visit #none, Friday 2 June 17, 6:40-6:45PM, mileage n/a.
Temps in the low 70's, sunny.

Visit #1080, Saturday 3 June 17, 11:10AM-12:50PM, 3.8 miles.
Temps in the mid 60's, partly sunny.

Visit #1081, Sunday 4 June 17, 7:15-8:00AM, mileage n/a.
Temps in the low 60's, sunny.

Whew; that's a lot of time in Hubbard Park in the last week! I wouldn't do it unless I could combine it with a bike ride, which is what I did on Tuesday and Friday.

After last week's trail search and destroy mission was left incomplete, I just had to return to the renegade trail and find where the trail ended. The light rain kept away people and the bugs, and made for a quiet hike.


 I picked up the trail, continued on from where I left off, and found another ramp the mountain bikers were building.


Only the sharpened eyes of a veteran mountain biker like myself would spot this as a construction. I dismantled it.


The trail eventually disappeared into nothingness, which must mean it was a work-in-progress. Even in the middle of nowhere I managed to find some litter, which I brought back to my car.


During the walk back to my car, I spotted some new graffiti on the railing on the spillway at the north end of Merimere Reservoir. The thought of hiking all the way to the north end of Hubbard Park for five minute's work removing it did not turn me on. But if I combined that with a bike ride I would be thrilled, which is what I did on Tuesday.



Armed with a small but lethal palm-sized piece of sandpaper, I scrubbed it all away.



I only noticed on a subsequent, undocumented mountain bike ride through Hubbard Park later last week that I'd missed other graffiti on the same railing. So that meant another return trip to Hubbard Park, which I did by bike on Friday.


More sandpaper...making a cameo appearance in the right of the photo:


At this point, I was tired of missing all the graffiti so I performed an inspection of the railing on the opposite side of the road. Good thing...


One has to wonder if that's a misspelling of "runner".  No need to worry about it anymore, however.



While I'm doing my thing, this guy was doing his illegal fishing thing in Merimere Reservoir


Alas, after all my graffiti eradication this past week, you would think I wouldn't find any more this weekend. Wrong.

On Saturday I didn't have much planned so I scoured the trails below Castle Craig for litter.

Enroute from the park to the trails, I came upon the recent work of Len, our Hubbard Park vandal.



I rode those trails on my undocumented mountain bike ride through Hubbard Park on Thursday and that wood wasn't there, and I know Len's work like nobody else. The long tree I previously cut up in April of this year. I don't believe the tree rolled across the trail by itself.

The most exciting thing I found on Saturday was Condom #6 of 2017.


I returned to the parking lot and dropped off my bag of trash for the week.


It was while returning to the parking lot and checking out something not documented, that I found our local graffiti vandal(s) "JK" and "Bomb" (I'm beginning to suspect they're the same person) are desperately trying for some sort of immortality as I found their tags on the BACKSIDE of the I-691 bridge supports. Why they would tag a location no one would see is beyond me.

This is roughly the 11th time since 2015 that I've encountered their tags. I returned early Sunday morning armed to the teeth to remove their memorial from even where the public won't see it.



My senses started tingling, and I suspected if I looked behind the OTHER bridge supports, I would find more. Gee; how did I know...

You can see my previous paint job to the right.


"CPR" must have joined "JK" in Hubbard Park as I found both of them on West Peak last week.


I used up the rest of the paint in my tray which is why the covered spot is so large.


And "JK" went bye-bye as well.


Sunday morning's work didn't involve a lot of distance. I finished painting and walked around the retention ponds and back to the park, picking up litter along the way. When I reached the gate across the road, which wasn't opened yet, I found this:


Looks like "Bomb" made a sticker or something similar from a piece of U.S. Postal material.

I actually plan of heading to Hubbard Park today on my bike; that would make it almost daily this past week. I never get tired of it, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment