Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Hug Your Chainsaw

"Never hug a running chainsaw." - Confucious, Chinese Philosopher, 551-479 B.C.

Confucious was ahead of his time; roughly 2000 years, as the chainsaw wasn't invented until
1830 A.D. . 

While I would certainly follow his advice, it was cold enough on Saturday to consider doing otherwise just to stay warm. Which is why I ventured into Hubbard Park on Sunday instead.

Visit 1106, Sunday 12 November 17, 12:20-2:55PM, 4.2 miles.
Temps in the 40's, sunny.

After inspecting some of the trails last week, I returned with my chainsaw on Sunday to clear some of the trees which fell victim to last week's wind and rain.

You'll forgive me if I forgot to take some "after" photos. Trust that I did my job.

I started at the Soap Box Derby track.



There's a short loop of a trail further up the track, on the left, where I encountered a series of fallen trees.







Hiking away from Merimere Reservoir, I pointed toward the Halfway House and cleaned up this tree on the perimeter of the clearing.




It was while working around the Halfway House that a couple walked by and remarked that the brush on the hillside is growing such that soon the view south from the Halfway House will be obscured. If it keeps growing, I may have to call in a napalm drop.


Here's a comparison photo from October 2014.


And one from December 2013.


I'll see if I can't plant a suggestion in the proper places.

Finished around the Halfway House, I hiked the main trail until I found the arrows I mentioned last week. I covered them with brown spray paint.





And I found yet more of Hubbard Park's Christian graffiti vandal's work.


The persistence of a troubled mind. Sorry, James.


I crossed over I-691 to the largest tree of the day, across the trail leading to the small parking area adjacent to West Main Street and Belmont Avenue.


But alas, while cutting up this tree, I ran out of fuel for my chainsaw. Party's over.

I'm told there are at least 5 or 6 more trees on other trails which need attention. That will be next week's agenda. I returned to the parking lot and dropped off my bag of litter for the week.

Here's hoping the temps are warmer next Saturday, or I may ignore Confucious' words of wisdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment