Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Peace and Quiet



It wasn't as cold as the ice would make you think. A nice day if you managed to avoid the rain.

Visit #1122, Saturday 10 February 18, 10:30AM-12:30PM, 7.2 miles.
Temps in the low 40's, cloudy with rain developing in the afternoon.

After 3 weeks of working with the chainsaw on a fallen tree near West Peak, I wanted some peace and quiet. So, this week I would seek out a little used trail for some tranquility.

I started out on the far side of the fence in the archival photo you see below, picking up litter as I thought it an eyesore for people in the park. The weather cooperated by melting the snow which would hide bottles, cans, and whatnot. I used my hedge clippers to cut through the thorn bushes to reach the area. Now you know why I carry them virtually every week.


I collected enough that I decided to leave the first trash bag at the water treatment plant.


Although the roads were clear, I was warned the trails would still be icy. As with last week, I donned my Stabilicer Maxx cleats which made hiking easy and safe, which was important on the trails today. I watched other, non-equipped hikers walking as if trying to avoid imaginary cow patties-funny!



No sooner did I reach the trails did I find this little "stash of trash", which included-a hub cap!?


Passing Castle Craig, I reached my trail of solitude and sure enough, had it all to myself.

On the way down I had the opportunity to do a little trail maintenance.



I was concerned I wouldn't be able to cross the stream at the trail's end, expecting water flow to be heavy. That wasn't the case, and crossing it was a dry affair.


Cracking ice, wind, and leaves formed interesting patterns on the surface.


At Echo Point, the decorated Christmas Tree STILL hasn't been restored to its original state.


Does anyone reading this blog still have THEIR Christmas tree up?! I may have to go all Grinch on this tree and it's not going to make Cindy Lou Who happy. Stay tuned.

Me.

Tree decorators.


I returned to the park, and avoided the impending rain by roughly 2 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment